Why Use Goodreads?
by Karen Johnson
It’s amazing how many authors have never heard of Goodreads! To put it simply, Goodreads is an awesome site to highlight your book and yourself. Think Facebook for authors. Before you say “Oh is that all?” let me tell you, Goodreads is so much more. Here is a quick rundown of the things Goodreads and the Goodreads Author’s Program can do for you and your book.
- You can create author pages that readers can “fan” and share with other friends.
- You can create pages for your books! Readers can leave comments and recommend the books to others. You can even add excerpts from your books and video chats to tantalize readers!
- You can set up purchase through Goodreads. If your book is on Amazon or Barnes and Noble, it is automatically connected to Goodreads!
- You can create your own communities and discussion groups to interact with your fellow authors and fans.
- You can buy advertising on the Goodreads site. This is excellent exposure to the entire Goodreads site.
There are also loads of free promotional uses for Goodreads! #andwhodosentlovefree!
- Giveaways – Advertise book giveaways to the entire Goodreads community!
- Genre – You can choose the different genre to categorize your books for maximum exposure.
- Upcoming events – Use Goodreads to post book signings or any upcoming events you have scheduled.
- Social Media – You can link your Goodreads page to Twitter, Facebook and your blog (you do have those, right?) for maximum exposure!
Goodreads can really help expose you to readers who may miss you in the jungle of book publishing. Book reviewers populate Goodreads and many are on the lookout for new authors. Making connections early in your writing career can pay off big in the future! Goodreads gives you that access to people who truly love the written word and not just the book de jour. If you are a new author, Goodreads is a great way to get your name out and create buzz for your book. For veteran authors, Goodreads can become the place to help find a new audience for previously published books and create buzz for new ones. Goodreads is a place that can open up new avenues for authors. Don’t let the opportunity pass you by! 24,065 authors can’t be wrong!
High School Teacher, Grad Student, Author on the make! I’ve always been a book lover and writer. My favorite genre is mystery and suspense but I’m open to everything! I have a book review blog called Release Notes and I’m also documenting my weight loss journey at my blog, The Skinny Girl Inside. I am the Goodreads Coordinator for IBC and I’m thrilled because I’m learning what it takes to be a successful author.